Manchester City begin life in the post-Pep Guardiola era with a Premier League opener against Bournemouth at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, and new head coach Enzo Maresca will do so without one of his most influential attackers.
Jeremy Doku will miss the visit of the Cherries after aggravating a calf problem picked up on World Cup duty with Belgium, an issue that flared up again when he was withdrawn at half-time of City’s chastening 3-0 Community Shield defeat to Arsenal last weekend.
Speaking to reporters on Friday, Maresca confirmed the winger would be sidelined for some time.
“Unfortunately in the last game at half-time he was complaining about a calf pain,” he said, according to SportMole. “Idea was that he would come off, the change was planned and at the moment, [he’s out for] 2-3 weeks, no more than that.”
There was better news on Matheus Nunes, who had been forced to withdraw from the Community Shield squad after picking up a muscle issue in the warm-up.
The Portuguese full-back has trained through the week and is available for selection. “At the moment, the only one [unavailable] is Jeremy Doku,” Maresca said. “Then Matheus [Nunes] is back… the rest are all okay.”
Marmoush and Savinho futures cloud team news
Omar Marmoush‘s fitness remains less clear-cut. The Egyptian picked up a knock after coming on as a substitute against Arsenal and is considered a doubt for Sunday, with speculation over his future adding to the uncertainty.
Tottenham have been strongly linked with a move for the forward, though Maresca insisted there had been no indication from the player that he wants to leave.
Asked directly about the transfer talk, he said Marmoush “has not asked to leave since day one,” adding, when pressed further this week, simply: “not yet.”
Savinho‘s situation looks further advanced. The Brazilian winger has missed training with illness and, according to reports, Tottenham have agreed a fee in the region of £75million for his signature, leaving his involvement against Bournemouth very much in doubt regardless of his health.
Academy winger Ryan McAidoo, who has impressed during pre-season, is also a minor doubt after picking up a shoulder problem, though he could still be included among the substitutes.
City have no suspensions to contend with, which offers Maresca at least one selection headache fewer as he prepares for his first competitive home match in charge.
A fresh start after a difficult Community Shield
Sunday’s fixture marks the true beginning of the Maresca era at the Etihad, following a chastening introduction to silverware football against Arsenal and the summer departures of club captain Rodri and Tijjani Reijnders.
The Italian, who arrived at City after a spell in charge of Chelsea, was keen to strike an optimistic tone ahead of facing a Bournemouth side themselves starting a new chapter under manager Marco Rose.
“I feel very excited to begin this new chapter and this new journey,” Maresca said.
“Our aim is to continue along the same path we have followed over the past ten or fifteen years, so we are very happy to finally play our first match at home.”
On the Cherries, who impressed under former boss Andoni Iraola last season, Maresca made clear he had done his homework.
“I watched the game, I watched the pre-season game. I also watched some games from last season, when he was at another club. You can see clearly the identity,” he said, pointing to the aggressive, front-foot approach Rose is expected to continue at the Vitality Stadium outfit.
The City head coach was also asked about transfer business as the window edges towards its close, including reported interest in Chelsea’s Enzo Fernández as a potential successor to Rodri in midfield.
Maresca declined to be drawn on a rival’s player, saying: “Enzo [Fernández] is a Chelsea player, and I’m not going to talk about players that are not with us… I think it’s a lack of respect.”

