Manchester City are preparing for what could become one of the most significant periods of change in the club’s recent history, with more departures expected at the Etihad Stadium amid growing uncertainty surrounding manager Pep Guardiola.
Reports on Monday suggested Guardiola has decided to step down at the end of next season, despite still having a year remaining on his contract. The development arrived less than 24 hours before City surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal following a draw away at Bournemouth.
Former Chelsea coach Enzo Maresca has already emerged as a possible successor. Maresca previously worked under Guardiola during City’s successful 2022-23 campaign and is viewed as one of the leading candidates should the Spaniard depart.
However, attention is now shifting towards what could be a large-scale overhaul of the playing squad. Several senior figures have already confirmed their exits, while others continue to attract interest from clubs across Europe.
The latest player linked with a move away is winger Savinho. Reports by ESPN Brasil claim City are willing to listen to offers for the 22-year-old after an underwhelming second season at the club.
According to journalist Bruno Andrade, Savinho is “no longer seen as an important part of the City squad” and has subsequently been placed on the transfer list.
City are expected to demand more than €50m for the Brazilian, with another Premier League side considered the most likely destination.
The reported asking price represents a notable reduction from City’s previous valuation.
Earlier in the campaign, the club are believed to have rejected an offer worth close to €70m from Tottenham Hotspur because Guardiola still believed Savinho could contribute to the team.
Instead, the winger endured a difficult season interrupted by injuries and inconsistent performances. He struggled to establish himself in Guardiola’s starting line-up and spent much of the campaign among the substitutes.
Across all competitions, Savinho made 35 appearances, scoring four goals and contributing two assists.
Other key Manchester City players linked with exits
City have already said farewell to long-serving stars Bernardo Silva and John Stones, who lifted the FA Cup together after victory over Chelsea on Saturday before confirming their departures.
Their exits could signal the beginning of a wider rebuild, particularly with speculation continuing to intensify around several other members of the squad.
Midfielder Rodri has been strongly linked with Real Madrid in recent weeks. Reports from Spain suggest the Spainsh giants are eager to bring the midfielder back to his homeland, especially with uncertainty surrounding Guardiola’s future.
Rodri has become one of City’s most influential players during Guardiola’s reign and remains central to the team’s style of play. Losing him would represent another major blow as the club attempt to reshape their squad.
Defender Josko Gvardiol is also attracting interest from Madrid. Spanish reports claim the Croatian international has been offered to the club as they continue to explore defensive reinforcements ahead of next season.
While no agreements have yet been reached, the increasing number of players linked with exits has fuelled expectations that City could look very different by the start of the new campaign.
- Man City identify first two signings under Enzo Maresca, ready to splash £200M
- Man City suffer another blow as player decides to leave with Pep Guardiola
Journalist Sam Lee, speaking on the “Let Me Talk” podcast, suggested more departures are likely over the coming months, although decisions may ultimately depend on whether Maresca becomes Guardiola’s replacement and which players fit into his plans.
Lee also revealed he had been “told” that midfielder Nico Gonzalez appears set to leave the club after falling out of favour towards the end of the season.
The Spaniard was omitted from City’s final three matchday squads despite earlier playing an important role during Rodri’s absence.
Gonzalez had previously impressed in midfield and scored the winning goal in City’s FA Cup semi-final victory.
After arriving from FC Porto, the midfielder initially looked capable of becoming a valuable squad option. But opportunities became increasingly limited during the second half of the season as competition for places intensified.



