City Reports logo
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
City Reports logo

Rodri Ban: Guardiola sends message to FA after his player attacked referee

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says the club will comply with any decision made by the Football Association after midfielder Rodri was formally charged over remarks aimed at match officials.

The development comes during a crucial stage of the Premier League campaign, with City chasing down leaders Arsenal and trimming the gap at the summit to four points.

While results on the pitch have largely been encouraging, the off-field issue surrounding Rodri has introduced fresh debate into City’s season.

The Spain international’s comments followed a dramatic 2-2 draw away at Tottenham, a contest that ended in frustration for the Sky Blues.

Rodri was particularly vocal about an incident in the build-up to Dominic Solanke’s first goal, claiming a foul on Marc Guehi had been overlooked.

City felt aggrieved during the encounter, believing a clear infringement had been missed in the moments before Tottenham found the net.

The midfielder did not hide his emotions when speaking publicly, suggesting there had been a pattern of decisions going against his side.

“I know we won too much and the people don’t want us to win, but the referee has to be neutral. It’s not fair because we work so hard,” Rodri said.

He went on to add, “But when it’s one, two, three, four [games] in a row, it’s not possible! I’m not saying the level of refereeing here is bad, it’s great… but we need to be fair.”

Reflecting specifically on the challenge in question, he said: “We are frustrated because it’s so clear the foul, he kicked the leg… Today, unfortunately, [these small details] did make the difference.”

The FA subsequently charged Rodri, alleging that his comments brought into question the neutrality and integrity of match officials.

The governing body confirmed that the midfielder would be required to respond within a set timeframe, after which a regulatory commission may consider possible sanctions.

Potential outcomes range from a financial penalty to a suspension, depending on the findings of the review process.

Guardiola addressed the matter for the first time following City’s 2-0 victory in the FA Cup fourth round.

The Spaniard was asked directly how the club intended to approach the charge and whether it would contest the decision.

“No idea,” Guardiola admitted when asked what stance the club will take in response to action from the FA.

He continued, “Absolutely we’ll respect the decision of- which department punished Rodri? The FA. We will accept the decision of the FA.

“We accept everything, what the big hierarchies decide what we have to behave and what we have to do.”

Guardiola’s response reflected his long-standing approach to disciplinary matters, often choosing not to escalate disputes publicly.

Instead, he stressed that the club would cooperate fully with the process and abide by whatever verdict is delivered.

However, the timing is far from ideal. The fixtures continue to come thick and fast across domestic competitions, with the title race entering a decisive stretch.

Any suspension for Rodri would represent a significant blow, given his influence at the heart of midfield and his importance to Guardiola’s tactical structure.

However, the Manchester City manager was keen not to allow the issue to distract from preparations on the pitch. His immediate focus remains on maintaining momentum in both league and cup competitions.

LATEST NEWS

Jeremy Doku's injury

Man City injury and return date: Erling Haaland, Jeremy Doku, Gvardiol and more

Manchester City’s campaign has been influenced not only by their pursuit of silverware but also by the steady stream of injuries that have tested...
Pep Guardiola

Fabrizio Romano names ‘leading contender’ to replace Guardiola at Man City

The future of Pep Guardiola at Manchester City may once again become a major talking point this summer, even though the Spaniard remains under...

Revealed: how Marc Guehi clashed with Crystal Palace boss before joining Man City

Crystal Palace’s stunning FA Cup exit at the hands of non-league Macclesfield reportedly led to half-time confrontation between manager Oliver Glasner and captain Marc...