Pep Guardiola has said he will first hold discussions with Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak before revealing whether he will remain at the club beyond this season, as uncertainty continues to surround his future at the Etihad Stadium.
The City manager was speaking after Tuesday’s frustrating 1-1 draw away to Bournemouth, a result that officially handed the Premier League title to Arsenal and left Guardiola’s side with little left to fight for in the closing days of the campaign.
The reaction from travelling supporters was immediate, with many chanting for the Spaniard to stay for another season despite what has been a disappointing year by the club’s high standards.
City now sit four points behind Arsenal with only one league match remaining, and attention has already begun to shift towards what could become one of the most significant managerial changes in English football in recent years.
Guardiola, who has overseen an era of sustained dominance in Manchester, insisted that any decision regarding his future would first be discussed privately with the club’s leadership, his staff and the players before being communicated to the supporters.
“The first person I have to talk to is my chairman,” said Guardiola.
“I will not tell you [a decision] here because I have to talk with my chairman, with my players, with my staff because when we play for the FA Cup, qualification for the Champions League, the Premier League it’s just one thing in my mind and focus: Try to bring the team to the highest point. And it’s what we have done.”
Those comments have only intensified speculation that Guardiola could be approaching the end of his long and hugely successful spell at City.
Although he remains under contract until 2027, there is understood to be a clause in his deal that would allow him to leave this summer if he chooses to do so.
Reports have suggested that senior figures within the club are increasingly preparing for the possibility of Guardiola stepping away.
If that happens, it would mark the conclusion of a transformational period in City’s history, one that has reshaped the modern Premier League landscape and established the club as one of Europe’s dominant forces.
Since arriving in Manchester in 2016, Guardiola has delivered a style of football that brought unprecedented domestic success.
His side have won multiple league titles, collected domestic cups and set numerous records during a remarkable decade under his leadership. Across all competitions, Guardiola has guided City to 20 trophies, including six Premier League titles, turning the club into a relentless winning machine.
Yet this season has been different. Injuries, inconsistency and growing pressure from rivals have prevented Manchester City from maintaining the standards they have set over recent years.
Arsenal’s rise under Mikel Arteta has also shifted the balance of power, with Tuesday’s result mathematically ending City’s hopes of winning the league title.
Even so, Guardiola’s standing among supporters remains as strong as ever. Chants urging him to stay echoed around the Vitality Stadium after the final whistle, reflecting the appreciation many fans have for the manager who delivered the most successful era in the club’s history.
Meanwhile, the uncertainty surrounding Guardiola’s position has naturally led to discussions about possible replacements.
Sources have indicated that former Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca is regarded as the leading candidate should City require a new head coach.
Maresca, who previously worked under Guardiola as part of City’s coaching staff, is highly respected within the club’s structure and is viewed as someone capable of continuing the footballing philosophy established during Guardiola’s tenure.
- Bournemouth 1-1 Man City: Frustrated Erling Haaland reveals next target after losing another Premier League title
- Man City move quickly to stop superstar from leaving with Pep Guardiola
However, no official announcement has been made, and Guardiola himself has continued to avoid offering any definitive indication over what he intends to do next.
Bernardo Silva admits uncertainty as speculation grows
The uncertainty has also extended to City’s dressing room, with midfielder Bernardo Silva admitting that players are still unaware of Guardiola’s intentions.
Silva, who has already confirmed that he plans to leave the club this summer, was asked directly about the manager’s future following the draw at Bournemouth. The Portugal international made clear that the decision remains entirely in Guardiola’s hands.
“I honestly don’t know about it,” said Silva. “That’s his decision, that’s his announcement to make if he stays or if he goes. That’s not on me.”
Silva’s own expected departure adds further significance to what could become a summer of major change at the Etihad Stadium.
Several senior players are approaching important crossroads in their careers, and Guardiola’s decision is likely to influence the direction City take moving forward.



